OLA Super Conference: Fearless By Design (Jan 31 – Feb 3, 2018)
The OLA Special Libraries Committee invites session proposals from librarians, information professionals, and knowledge workers in the special libraries community.
The theme of the 2017 Ontario Library Association (OLA) Super Conference is “Fearless by Design”.
We take risks. We endeavour to explore the unknown. We shed light on learning and technology, and we fight for the right to information, literacy, and education for all. As knowledge and research experts, we venture to serve our communities, schools, and more. We forecast needs and provide services, spaces, and places that support everyone.
We are entrusted with holding the facts and evidence upon which a just society is based. As our society transforms, so do we.
We are Fearless by Design.
Submit your 150 word proposal on the Super Conference website! Deadline is Monday, May 29 at 12pm
We encourage you to submit proposals for speakers and panels that highlight hot topics in library and information professions, inclusive thinking, and ways that we take risks to be effective in our workplaces. Suggestions and ideas for session topics include, but are not limited to:
- Recognizing your own skills, connecting them, and marketing yourself
- Budgeting with limited resources
- Learning how to fail
- Difficult conversations (ie. Colleagues, bosses, staff, users, vendors, trustees)
- Collaboration with non-library staff within your organization
- Succession/ Leadership planning
- Performance metrics
- Early to Mid career issues
- Evidence-based practices
- Influencing without authority
- Advocacy for non-librarians
- Dealing with contracts and precarious work
- Salary negotiation
- Shoestring professional development
- Evaluating technology
- Unconventional library jobs
- Cross-sector movement
- Finding and becoming good mentors
- Job descriptions—how to write them and how to read them
Submit your 150 word proposal! Deadline is Monday, May 29 at 12pm
If you have any questions, or would like more information, please don’t hesitate to contact your OLA-SLC Planner: Jessica Samuels (email@example.com).